California State University, Los Angeles recognized nine women for outstanding achievements and significant contributions to the University and the community.
The 20th annual Distinguished Women Awards were presented to the honorees for their diverse work that embodies Cal State LA’s mission of engagement, service, and the public good. The March 14 event, coordinated by the Cross Cultural Centers, coincided with Women’s History Month.
During the past two decades, Cal State LA has honored more than 180 women. This year’s honorees are:
- Laura P. Flenoury, Program Evaluation and Research Collaborative
- Bobbie Galaz, College of Natural and Social Sciences
- Ruzanna Karmiryan, Department of Sociology
- Maria Laines, Educational Opportunity Program
- Allison Mattheis, Division of Applied and Advanced Studies in Education
- Birte Pfleger-Cullinan, Department of History
- Isis Stansberry, Office for Students with Disabilities
- Maria Esparanza Ubago, College of Business and Economics
- Andrea Zetlin, Division of Special Education and Counseling
Cal State LA President William A. Covino noted that the nine women represent the ethic of service.
“This is service that manifests itself through compassion, tough love, generosity, and most importantly, by example,” Covino told the audience at the Golden Eagle Ballroom. “It is evident to me that the women we celebrate today make changes possible in the people they meet and touch every single day. All of them make this a different and better place.”
The president closed his remarks by acknowledging the honorees as well as recognizing Fred Smith, director of the Cross Cultural Centers, and the selection committee for their efforts.
“[This event] is a great reaffirmation of what Cal State LA stands for and recognition of people who make it possible,” Covino said. “So congratulations and thank you very much!”
Members of the selection committee included Charity Perry, of the Department of Sociology; Cheryl Pugh, of the Office of Undergraduate Studies; and Thea Winkler, of Counseling and Psychological Services.
Photo: Seated, l-r, Isis Stansberry, Maria Laines, Laura P. Flenoury and Bobbie Galaz. Standing, l-r, Maria Esparanza Ubago, Ruzanna Karmiryan, President William A. Covino, Allison Mattheis, Birte Pfleger-Cullinan and Andrea Zetlin. (Credit: Ty Washington/Cal State LA)